Lifeguard Workshop Program
The Trevor Lifeguard Workshop Program uses a structured curriculum to address topics around sexuality, gender identity, the impacts of language and behavior and what it means for young people to feel different. Through the workshop, young people learn to recognize the warning signs of depression and suicide, and thus become “lifeguards” to keep their friends and peers safe.
We are looking for volunteers to help bring awareness of suicide prevention in the LGBTQ youth community as Lifeguard Workshop Facilitators. The Trevor Project is pleased to announce the upcoming Lifeguard Workshop Facilitator training in Visalia.
That training will be held on:
Friday June 17, 2011, 4:00 pm-7:00 pm AND Saturday June 18, 2011, 10:00 am-6:00 pm
(You must attend both days to be considered for the position)
Location: Spiritual Awareness Center, 117 South Locust, Visalia 93291
Please review the position description below and if you feel this is still a match for your passions and talent (and we hope it is), please submit your volunteer application (by Wednesday, June 1, 2011) through our new process here: VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION.
Ideal Qualities of Lifeguard Workshop Facilitators:
- Sufficient comfort with public speaking and group facilitation (including difficult situations)
- Experience with and an interest in working with LGBTQ youth (including a working knowledge of issues related to both sexual orientation and gender identity/expression)
- Outgoing, energetic and patient personality
- Knowledge of contemporary issues among youth today
- Ability to volunteer at different times of the week—including some weekdays
- Flexibility regarding the type of Workshop audience (from middle schools to the collegiate level and with youth service providers) and material presented during that Workshop
Commitment Expected from Lifeguard Workshop Facilitators:
- An ten-hour training facilitated by The Trevor Project’s Program Staff, Workshop Coordinators, and volunteers
- One-year commitment to the program following training, facilitating a minimum of six Lifeguard Workshops, presentations and/or service provider in-services
- Debriefing responsibilities following a Workshop including reports and evaluations submitted to the Advocacy and Education Manager